Chilli usually has meat as its main ingredient which is why it is also called as chilli con carne. But because of the growing popularity of the dish, a demand for vegetarian chili is also increasing. Vegetarians also want to enjoy this traditional south western dish, which is why they come up with different types of vegetarian chili recipes.
Vegetarian chili is also called chili sin carne which literally translates to chili with no meat. This has become popular in the 1960s and 1970s, which is also the time when vegetarianism also started to grow popular. This type of chili is also popular among those who want to reduce their consumption of meat for health reasons.
The main idea of vegetarian chilli is excluding meat from the recipe, and substituting vegetables or other vegetarian-friendly foods such as tofu and veggie meats. You can add different kinds of vegetables like potatoes, squash, corn, mushrooms, and/or beans.
If you want to know how to cook vegetarian chilli using tofu, corn, and beans, just do the following steps.
• To be able to work more efficiently and faster, prepare all the materials and tools that you will need and also the ingredients. for this recipe, you will need 2 cups of crumbled firm tofu, 2 cups of chopped tomatoes, 3 cups of partially drained baked beans, one and a half cups of frozen corn, ¾ teaspoon chilli powder, a quarter of a teaspoon cayenne pepper, a tablespoon of safflower oil, a teaspoon of garlic, one and ¼ cups of onions, half a cup of ketchup, 3 tablespoons of paprika, a teaspoon of powdered cumin, and a couple of tablespoons of masa.
• Slice your firm tofu thinly and place them on a kitchen towel carefully. Place another towel over the tofu and let the towel dry the moisture from the tofu for half an hour. Some people might be afraid or might have some inhibitions in using tofu because of its bland taste which they think will affect the taste of the chili. This is not true. Tofu will actually make a great blank canvass of the different flavours in your chili which come from the different spices and other ingredients that you used.
• In a large pot, heat the safflower oil in medium heat and add the minced garlic and chopped onion. Stir until the onion is soft and transparent. Be careful with onions and garlic. You don’t want to burn them because this will give a bitter taste to your chili. Add the sliced tofu and stir for about 4 minutes.
• Put the chopped tomatoes, baked beans, ketchup, and corn into the pan with the onion, garlic, and tofu. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
• After several minutes and making sure that the ingredients are well incorporated, add the remaining ingredients and spices such as masa, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and paprika.
• Cover your pot and let it simmer for a few minutes. Simmering the mixture makes the chili’s flavours combine altogether. Stir the chilli from time to time to avoid uneven cooking. This will be ready in about half an hour.
• If you have 8 to 10 guests, this will be enough for them.
Chili is the official food of the state of Texas. Chili became popular in Texas during the late 1880s when Hispanic women, called as the chili queens, started selling chili at the streets of San Antonio. They sell it by the bowl to passerby. The strong and delicious aroma of the chili made it an instant hit to the Texans.
But what makes Texas-style chili different from standard and traditional chili? Texas-style chili uses chunks of beef instead of the ground beef that is commonly used in most chili recipes. Texas chili also doesn’t contain any beans, tomatoes, or vegetables that are used in other variations of chili. The only vegetable it has is chili peppers, giving it a taste of more beef and chili!
The beef used, instead of being ground, are cut into bite-sized chunks usually the size of a pecan nut. The chunked beef gives the Texas-style chili a stew-like texture as compared to the common chili recipes that use ground beef.
How to make Texas chili, you ask? Fret not. It’s not as hard as one imagines. Preparation time for Texas chili is about 15 minutes, while the cooking time lasts for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
First things first on how to make Texas chili: ingredients. What you will need are the following:
• 3 pounds of beef chucks, cut them into one-inch cubes
• 1 large onion
• 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 9 chili pepper pods or chili powder
• 3 cup of beef broth
• 1 cup of tomato sauce or paste or puree
• 2 teaspoons of cornmeal or harina flour
• ground black pepper
• ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder
• 1 tablespoon of cumin, ground
Once you have all the ingredients done, follow these simple instructions on how to make Texas chili.
1. Get a large pot and over medium heat, cook the beef in vegetable oil until it turns brown. If you need to do this in batches, do it a necessary. It is better to evenly cook the beef rather than rush everything in one go leaving some portions of the beef uncooked.
2. While the beef is cooking, dice the onions and the garlic. Add the diced onions to the beef and let it sauté for about five minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cornmeal and allow it to cook. If you want your chili to have less fat, you can remove and drain the excess fat by this time. Apart from the vegetable oil, the beef as natural fat that will seep out of it while cooking.
4. Add the tomato sauce and chili pepper. Pour the beef broth and allow it to cook. Add the cumin and cayenne powder. Add the salt and ground black pepper to taste.
5. After you have put in all the remaining ingredients, bring it to a boil. Then put it to low heat and allow it to simmer. Cover the pot and stir occasionally.
It’s that simple! You know now how to make Texas chili like a real Texan!
Crockpots or slow cookers are very useful kitchen electronic appliances because they require very low monitoring and maintenance. You can do whatever you like while your dish is cooking—you can got to work, clean the house, cook another dish, attend a party, relax, sleep, watch TV, and so on. This is the reason why you will usually find traditional recipes which make use of crockpots.
For this article, you will learn how to cook crockpot chilli in these few simple and easy steps.
• Prepare all the materials and tools that you will need such as’ of course, a large crockpot, measuring tools, skillet, knife, and other things you might need while and before cooking your crockpot chilli.
• Then, you can prepare all the ingredients that you need to make crockpot chilli. The ingredients are very few yet you will be amazed by the result. All you need are a can of tomato juice which is around more or less 50 ounces, 4 cans of chilli beans, a pound of lean ground beef, a pound of spicy sausage, 3 tablespoons all purpose flour, canola oil, one medium sized onion, and of course, chilli powder for that distinct taste and flavour.
• Place your large skillet over medium heat and heat the canola oil. While the oil is heating up, mix some of the ingredients together in a big bowl. This includes your lean ground beef, sausage, and flour. Cook this mixture in the heated oil until it is brown in color. The purpose of the flour in this particular dish is to make the chilli thick. After a few minutes, the flour will d its job and will make the mixture thick. Because of this, you have to keep on stirring the mixture. This prevents uneven cooking and flavouring. Stirring incorporates all the ingredients and spices together.
• After the mixture ahs been cooked, remove the skillet from heat and drain the mixture, making sure all excess grease has been removed. Put the mixture aside.
• This is when your large crockpot comes in. in the crockpot, you have to add the other remaining ingredients such as canned tomato juice and chilli beans, diced onions, your meat mixture, and everything that you have not added yet.
• The good thing about this is you can leave your chilli cooking by itself in the crockpot for 8 hours while you are enjoying your time relaxing or doing other important chores.
• Read the manual included in your crockpot when you first bought it. The length of cooking chilli should be included there. Follow what the manual says.
• You can sprinkle in a pinch of salt to ad more flavour.
• You can add other spices that can further enhance the flavour of you chilli. It also depends on your likes and preference. You can add more chilli powder, jalapeño peppers, or other types of peppers.
• If you are planning to serve this to other people, do not make your chilli too hot or only a few people will enjoy it.
• Refrigerate for two days because chilis are better after two days.